Team Sites
Worthy Organizations
Archives


 

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

 

UN Security Council

What can I say, bring on the cheerios.

In all honesty, I think that the current members of the UN Security Council should be removed and replaced by Zimbabwe, Sudan, Cuba and North Korea. No, I am not being facetious. I am, however, willing to consider any proposal that leads to the destruction (real or defacto) of the UN as a global organization.

My reasoning is simple.

First, I do not think that UN serves any useful purpose. Even the best-case scenario involves a country surrendering some of its sovereignty. Nations can talk to each other without the red tape (and endless debates and resolutions) of the UN.

Second, the UN's current structure is incompatible with peace, let alone simple morals. There is literally no mechanism for the UN to differentiate between free countries and those ruled by dictators. Any organization lacking this ability is incapable of correct action (and inaction), as the UN has shown time and again, and so is not worth time, money or even the occasional drifting thought.

Since the UN is worse than useless, it should be disbanded (I do not believe that a sufficiently radical overhaul is a realistic possibility). Short of an actual dissolution of the UN, I would settle for its defacto destruction by making its flaws so painfully obvious that no one would take them seriously...hence, my selections for the new Security Council.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home