Team Sites
Worthy Organizations
Archives


 

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

 

Quick Response To The CO

Just a quick note on the CO's post.

You bring up the fact that Bush has not vetoed a single spending bill, and that he is the first President in a very long time to do so. I don't think this is necessarily indicative of the Republican Party coming apart. Consider the opposite situation: The Republican Party controls the House, Senate and Presidency and Bush vetoed 50% of the spending bills (or if you don't like 50%, pick a number). I my mind that would indicate that the Party was fractured because the President would be unable to work with his own party.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that 0% is a good rate of vetoing, but only that I don't think it's as big a deal as some want to make it.

As for social issues, I don't think that the Republican Party has drifted uniformly to the Right. Evidence: immigration, education (which Ted Kennedy had a large (ham handed) role in writing) and medicare. These are huge issues that Bush is being way more liberal on than I would like (as a cold-hearted Conservative, of course =)). While I suppose these issues could be used as evidence that the Republican Party is fracturing, there is some amount of disagreement that is necessary for a health Party.

Anyway, just some quick thoughts.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home